Saturday, October 30, 2010

The Secret of Contentment

"Godliness with contentment is great gain." (1 Timothy 6:6)

Feeling a little discontented these days?  Ask yourself, "Why?"  Do a little soul-searching and while you are searching, remember that you are "fearfully and wonderfully made" (Psalm 139:14).  You are a unique creation of the Creator God.

Paul said in Philippians 4:11b, ". . . . .I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances."  Paul had learned the secret of being content in every situation.  That secret is found in Philippians 4:13 - "I can do everything through Him who gives me strength."  God can and will give us a spirit of contentment.  We have to ask.

I confess, this is an area I have prayed about consistently because I often find myself lacking in the area of contentment.  God gave me the verse in 1 Timothy 6:6 years ago when I was confessing my lack of contentment.

I desire above all else to be the godly woman God wants me to be, therefore, I must learn to have a spirit of contentment.  The key (secret) can be found in learning to lean on Him and trust Him in everything.  Contentment may not come quickly, but it will come when we completely depend on Him for our strength.

1 comment:

  1. I think contentment is a hard area for most of us. The world advertises to want more....and we think if I just had...I would be content.
    It never comes from the worldy things... contentment comes from God alone.
    I too must pray for this each day, it does not come natural to me either.
    Thank you Kay for giving us these verses for memory work over the years in Sunday School. I too love them.
    Love in Christ,
    Jean

    ReplyDelete