Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Let's Take Inventory

Before the holidays, let's take an inventory of how we take care of our bodies.  Why?  Because our "body is the temple/sanctuary of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have received from God." (1 Corinthians 6:19)

Our Inventory Should Include:
1.  How much time am I spending in prayer and Bible study?
2.  How much time am I spending exercising (walking, biking, running, and/or just moving)?
3.  What am I eating?  How much am I eating?

We can become healthier beings who honor God with our bodies if we:
1.  Nurture our spiritual life (this is the most important).
2.  Show restraint (self-control) in how much we eat as well as what we eat.
     "But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, . . . . . . . . . . and self-control." (Galatians 5:22-23)
3.  Get moving.  Active people burn many more calories than those who are sitters.  Add exercise to what     you are already doing.

Food is so much a part of our holiday celebrations!  Enjoy!!  But enjoy a little less (smaller portions).  You won't feel deprived if you eat what you love, but eat just a little less than you normally do.  Ask God to help you be satisfied with less.  Spend time alone with God during the busy holiday season.  Don't neglect your spiritual life.  Move your body.  You will feel better.

A friend who runs with a group says she is not a runner and does not enjoy running.  She does enjoy the fellowship and how it makes her feel after she runs, so she keeps on running.

Find something you enjoy (biking, walking, water aerobics, etc.).  Join a group or enlist a friend to move with you.  It  will be a lot more enjoyable and you can hold each other accountable.
'
Enjoy Thanksgiving and Christmas!  I plan to and I plan to take my own advice.  I have already taken inventory!  Do you know where I fall short in my inventory?  I do.  Where is your weakness?  Where is your strength?

Serving Him,
Kay Martin

2 comments:

  1. ouch!! but you are totally on the mark. Thanks for the "gentle" reminder to keep our temples healthy even with all the temptations of the Christmas season!! Jona Rae

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for using our past memory verses this week. I love puting it in to real life and this brings the verses back to mind. I enjoyed this and will make it a challenge this holiday. Love in Christ, Jean

    ReplyDelete