Monday, September 19, 2011

The List - Having a Grateful Heart

"Always giving thanks to God the Father for everything, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ." Ephesians 5:20 (my emphisis)

I began The List the other morning - a list of things for which I am thankful.  I want - I need to develop a more grateful heart so I am making The List.  It will be somewhat random in nature though I am putting Jesus, my Savior at the top of The List.

What prompted The List?  I have been perusing One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp and have been thoroughly convicted of my failure to recognize how truly blessed I am.  I know that fact, but as I actually name my blessings (as Ann has emphasized),it gives me greater awareness of  how God has blessed me.  It also shines a light on my lack of thankfulness.

That very morning on which I began The List, God sent a most refreshing rain after a long dry spell.  Refreshing rain made The List.  My screened porch, where I have my time alone with God during the spring, summer and fall, also made The List.  Cooler temperatures, gentle breezes, a hot cup of coffee, butterflies, hummingbirds, family and friends all made The List.

My prayer is that God will give me a grateful heart through this exercise so He will shine through me.  I desire to be thankful even for the small things in life such as my first cup of coffee in the morning.  I don't want the tough things in life - divorce, illness and the like - to consume me and take away my thankfulness or my joy.

I want to give God the tough things in life and turn my focus to Him and His abundant blessings - His gifts.  "Give me a grateful heart, Lord."

2 comments:

  1. This sounds like a great bible study. Thanks for the reminder to have a thankful heart. God is good. Love in Christ, Jean

    ReplyDelete