Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Rely On God - Not Ourselves

It is a fact of life - we will have troubles.  "I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace.  In this world you will have trouble.  But take heart! I have overcome the world."(John 16:33)

Do you ever wonder why you (your family/friends, etc.) face so many trials and difficulties?  Sometimes the answer is quite simple.  Hardships often happen so we will stop relying on ourselves and rely on God.

In writing to the church at Corinth, Paul informed them of some of the hardships he had experienced.  He stated that they were far beyond his ability to endure and thought he would lose his life.  "Indeed, in our hearts we felt the sentence of death.  But this happened that we might not rely on ourselves but on God, who raises the dead." (2 Corinthians 1:9)

When Brooks Marr ( a lady in her 80's in our church) shared her testimony recently, she shared that through the many trials she had experienced in life, she had learned to stop asking God why and ask Him what instead - what He is trying to teach me through this trial/trouble.

When difficulties come, we need to learn to ask God what He wants to teach us - what does He want us to learn from this difficulty - or what is it He wants me to get rid of in my life.

Let's learn to ask God what and not why and learn to rely on God and not ourselves.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! I just quoted John 16:33 to a friend. We grow when we look at God instead of ourself. How selfish we (I) can be!

    ReplyDelete