Wednesday, July 6, 2011

A "Still" Person - I'm Not

Once again I find myself focusing on Psalm 46:10 - "Be still and know that I am God."  This verse has been on my mind and my heart lately and there it was again, in one of my devotional readings.  More and more I am realizing the importance of being still in God's Presence.  How will I ever hear Him and truly know Him if I am not still?

Confession:  I am not a "still" person.  But, through discipline and the power of the Holy Spirit (mostly the power of the Holy Spirit), I have learned to be fairly still early in the morning.  Let's face it, there aren't many distractions while it is still dark, so I can more easily focus on Him.  Trust me, there is room for improvement even though I have been having an early Quiet Time for many years.

Why do most of us have trouble being still?  Well, we have soooooo much to do!  (We say!)  I was thinking about Jesus and His tasks when He was here on earth.  There has never been a bigger to-do list, nor a more important one.  Yet, I am reminded that He was never in a hurry.  He always took time to listen to others and meet their needs.

Let's just say that I am convicted about my busyness, my hurriedness versus Jesus' calmness and patience, while getting THE JOB done.

My Prayer:  Lord, help me be still in Your Presence.  Help me let you direct my day.  Guide me to accomplish what is truly important.  Teach me Your Way.

1 comment:

  1. Wow!! So good...and once again, exactly what I need. I've been working on driving with the radio off, just to have quiet time with God as I drive. I have never thought about Jesus' To-Do list before - something to really think about. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete