Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Light Bulb Moments

Cartoons often use a light bulb to indicate the character has an idea or a revelation of some sort.  Have you ever had a light bulb moment?  I had one of those concerning life in general about three weeks ago.  I usually clean certain areas of my house such as the breakfast room, keeping room and kitchen or our bedroom, bath and closet.  That day I changed my routine and decided to clean all of the bathrooms first.  When I finished cleaning all of them, I felt like a cartoon character with a light bulb in a balloon over my head.  I asked myself, "Why?  Why am I cleaning this many bathrooms and there are only two of us who live here?"

That day I realized it was time to downsize our home.  Mind you, I had not been ready when we built this house almost three years ago but now, hmmmm I have different thoughts.  I love our home and yard, but it goes beyond our needs and it does have to be cleaned.  (Certain family members have accused me of being obsessive compulsive about cleaning.  They shall remain anonymous.)

I had been reading The Treasure Principle by Randy Alcorn and I am sure that helped bring on the light bulb moment.  His Treasure Principle Key #6 is "God prospers me not to raise my standard of living, but to raise my standard of giving."  One of the scripture passages on which this is based is 2 Corinthians 9:11.  "You will be made rich in every way so that you can be generous on every occasion."

God often blesses us so we can bless others, not just so we can have more and more material things.  We really do enjoy giving to different ministries, missionaries, etc.  God wants us to invest in eternal things more than earthly things.

"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal.  But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal.  For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." (Matthew 6:19-21)

I do not know God's timetable on downsizing our home (providing a buyer and just the right home for us), but I will be ready when the time is right.  Have you had any light bulb moments lately?  I would love to hear about them!

2 comments:

  1. I guess my comment is more about YOUR light bulb moment than one of my own . . . I understand what you are saying, sweet sister, and know that God will lead you to whatever downsizing you do in His timing and will bless your obedience. BUT - though your home may be larger than just you and Eddie need on a daily basis, I see you continually using it for God's glory. You have the most gracious gift of hospitality of anyone I've ever known and make people feel so welcomed and comfortable in the many fellowship opportunities you host. Whether it's a SS class party, a women's bible study or just a luncheon for friends I see you continually offering your home and your talents for God to use as He chooses. You are a blessing, my friend - and so, as an extension of you, is your home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that scripture in Matthew 6. Much food for thought - home is where your heart is. Kind of like church is not a building - it is the people worshiping together. We are all called to give in different ways & yes we are blessed beyond measure when we give freely. God bless you & yours Pat Henson

    ReplyDelete